Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is characterized by having disturbing or unwanted images, thoughts, or urges (obsessions) that intrude into a teen’s mind, causing immense discomfort or anxiety. In order to reduce the anxiety brought on by these obsessions, a teen engages in repetitive mental acts or behaviors (compulsions). Typically, compulsions are performed in a very specific or ritualistic way.
At our Teen Treatment Center in Los Angeles, we are qualified to evaluate and treat teens between the ages of 12-17 years old who have OCD. We have trained mental health professionals who understand this disorder and can provide the necessary therapies required.
What are the common obsessions and compulsions for OCD?
Obsessions and compulsions can differ from one person to another. However, here are some of its common themes:
- Contamination (fear of germs, dirt, sticky substances, getting sick, or chemicals)
- Perfection (the need to have everything perfect, e.g. not starting on homework unless everything on the desk is perfectly arranged)
- Exactness and symmetry (the need to have items ordered in a specific way, e.g. organizing according to color, shape, size)
- Cleaning or washing (e.g. excessive wiping, specific rituals for cleaning)
- Arranging (e.g. specifically arranging everything according to size, color, etc.)
- Checking (e.g. repetitive checking of locks, doors)
- Tapping, Touching, or Counting (tapping, touching, or objects in a specific way, e.g. tapping a door three times before leaving the room)
- Mental Rituals (not all symptoms of OCD are physical, some are mental rituals such as constantly repeating something in mind until they feel better)
Set an Appointment now or contact Teen Anxiety at 888-248-1278 for more information about Teen Anxiety Treatment in Los Angeles, California.